Aubergine Gyros with tahini & yoghurt sauce
Makes: 4 gyros
Barbecuing time: 10 minutes
Preparation time: 20 minutes + 2 hours
For the aubergines:
• 2 small aubergines (400 g)
• 3 tsp coarse sea salt
• 3 tsp paprika
• ¾ tsp oregano
• ½ tsp garlic powder
• ½ tsp nigella seeds
• ½ tsp mustard seeds
• 6 tbsp olive oil
• 1 large pitta bread
• 1 tomato
• ¼ cucumber
• 1 red onion
• 120 g red cabbage
• 8 tbsp tahini and yoghurt sauce (see page 183)
• 4 tbsp finely chopped dill
1. Cut the aubergines into 1-cm-thick slices. Mix them with 1½ teaspoons salt and leave to stand for 10 minutes. Wash the slices under running water, drain well and pat dry.
2. Combine the remaining salt with the paprika, oregano, garlic powder, nigella seeds, mustard seeds and olive oil, and stir into a marinade.
3. Add the aubergine slices to the marinade and leave for at least 2 hours. Next, grill the slices over direct heat for 3–4 minutes each side, take them off the grill and mix with the leftover marinade.
4. Cut the bread into quarters. Toast them over direct heat for 2 minutes.
5. Slice the tomato and cucumber. Finely slice the onion and red cabbage.
6. Fill the pitta quarters with aubergine slices, tomato, cucumbers, onion and cabbage, and top with tahini and yoghurt sauce and fresh dill.
Vegan BBQ By Jorg Mayer & Nadine Horn, published by Grub Sreet.