There are hundreds of ways to make a burger, but one thing’s for sure, they always taste great when you make them at home. So, to ensure you rustle up the best juicy burgers, don’t over-handle the meat, never flatten them with a spatula and only flip them once. I like to grill the meat because it’s healthier.
Big Beefy Burgers
S E R V E S 4
1 small red onion
500g (1lb 2oz) minced (ground) beef
2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
2 tablespoons English mustard
½ tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
½ teaspoon dried rosemary
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper 4 slices of cheese
(use your favourite)
4 burger buns
optional extra toppings: sliced tomato, lettuce, avocado, mayo and ketchup
oven chips (optional)
- Peel the red onion and finely chop it into small pieces. Place the onion in a large bowl with the beef, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, salt and pepper and mix everything together with a wooden spoon. Use your hands to form the mixture into 4 burger patties and gently flatten each one, trying not to squash or overwork the meat. Place the burgers on a baking tray and let them rest for 10 minutes at room temperature.
- Preheat your grill to medium–hot (you don’t want it too high). Place the baking tray with your burgers on under the grill and let them cook well on one side for at least 5
minutes. Carefully flip them over with a spatula and grill for another 4–5 minutes, until they are cooked through.
- Meanwhile, gather all your extra toppings on the table, ready for everyone to get stuck into once the burgers are cooked.
- When the burgers have 1 minute of cooking time left, lay a slice of cheese on top of each one and allow it to melt slightly before taking the burgers out from under the grill.
- Slice your burger buns in half and toast the cut side under the grill – keep a close eye on them because they will brown very quickly!
- At the table, place the burgers on the bun bases and start assembling your big beefy burger!
If this mouth-watering recipe has inspired you to try some more recipes from ‘Fantastic Eats!’ then you can buy your copy HERE + free UK delivery
This is the book for children aged 5 and upwards who are keen to get into the kitchen and start cooking but don’t want boring grown-up cookbooks. Angellica Bell has not only spent years as a presenter on CBBC and BBC, she’s a fantastic cook who won BBC TV’s Celebrity Masterchef.
Through 30 fun, step-by-step recipes that she makes with her own children, in Fantastic Eats! Angellica gets youngsters excited about creating tasty sweet and savoury dishes for everyone to share. Her recipes will bring the whole family together as you try your own home-made hamburgers, butternut squash and sweet potato fritters, Jamaican rock buns and icy watermelon lollies.
Every recipe has photos and instructions to show you exactly what to do, so parents can put their feet up while the children cook! (Make sure you do the washing-up afterwards, guys!) An essential book for every household with young children, Angellica’s recipe ideas, fun tips and inspiration will make a masterchef of even the youngest member of the household.