Croydon Airport, opened as a Royal Flying Corps aerodrome in 1916, had a short but important history before closing in 1959 after being replaced by Heathrow as London's main airport.
One of Europe's most important airports in the inter-war period, Croydon witnessed the development of air transport from converted military aeroplanes through to the de Havilland Albatross and H.P. 42 airliners that were in services at the start of the Second World War.
Private flying also took off in the inter-war period, initially using RAF-surplus types like the Avro 504K. These were gradually replaced by new designs for club and private use from manufacturers such as de Havilland, Miles, Percival and several smaller companies. Pleasure flying came to an end in 1939 but was resumed again in 1945.
Within the pages of Croydon Airport - The peaceful Years are almost 300 images showing the wide variety of aircraft to use the airport in its peacetime periods.