The Economies of Southeast Asia
The Growth and Development of ASEAN Economies
The Economies of Southeast Asia provides a modern authoritative introduction to the economic development of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN). It evaluates the extent to which the phenomenal growth in the region is due to ASEAN economic co-operation.
This book provides a comprehensive examination of issues which have paramount importance for Southeast Asian economies, including:
* the emergence of economic growth triangles and their contribution to ASEAN growth and regional cooperation
* the prospects for and challenges associated with the establishment of the ASEAN Free Trade Area (AFTA)
* trade patterns with the US, Japan, European Union, China and Vietnam
* the economic implications of growing interdependence and ASEAN membership enlargement
* the environmental consequences of industrialization and growth
* the role of government and foreign direct investment in ASEAN economic development
This comprehensive book includes an examination of the latest research on ASEAN growth and development. It will be an ideal main text for courses on Asian economics, development economics, development studies and comparative economic systems in both the East and West.
New & Used
Out of Stock
What Reviewers Are Saying
`. . . this book is a useful introduction to the complexities of the development of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) economies within the context of the development of ASEAN itself.' -- Ahmad D. Habir, Pacific Affairs `This book is comprehensive in terms of coverage of the ASEAN economies.' -- Helen E.S. Nesadurai, The Pacific Review `. . . the book is a solid contribution to the growing corpus of ASEAN literature.' -- E. Pang, Choice