In this addition to the well-received Paideia series, Jo-Ann Brant examines cultural context and theological meaning in John. Paideia commentaries explore how New Testament texts form Christian readers by
* attending to the ancient narrative and rhetorical strategies the text employs
* showing how the text shapes theological convictions and moral habits
* commenting on the final, canonical form of each New Testament book
* focusing on the cultural, literary, and theological settings of the text
* making judicious use of maps, photos, and sidebars in a reader-friendly format
This commentary, like each in the projected eighteen-volume series, proceeds by sense units rather than word-by-word or verse-by-verse.